1Ready the Room and the Surface
- 1.1Take all the doors and baseboards away.
- 1.2Take out any old tile, if necessary.
- 1.3You may need to shorten doorframes by following these steps:
- Line up the tile against the doorframe.
- Make a mark just above the tile (about 1/16” higher) with a pencil.
- Make the cut with a handsaw.
- 1.4Before you begin, you need to make sure the subfloor is level, clean, and dry. Plywood subfloor should also be solidified with screws into the floor joists:
- Use any existing nails and screws as a guide for where to fasten your own.
- A good rule of thumb to secure the subfloor is to use a 1½" floor screw every 6” apart along the edges and in the middle.