Trees, Hedges, and Bushes
Early spring is the time to prune any tree branches, bushes, or hedges that dried up during winter.
- Hedges should be trimmed yearly with a hedge trimmer. Make sure to be gentle on smaller hedges.
- Use a pruning saw for large shrubs or small trees.
- Chainsaws allow for quick tree trimming but should not be used past shoulder height.
- Use a telescopic pole saw to cut small branches that are out of your reach.
- For branches over half an inch in diameter, use a bow saw.
- Cut away unwanted shoots at branch intersections.
- Prune evergreen trees to their lateral branches.
- Blooming shrubs like forsythia should be pruned after they begin to flower.
- Provide deep root feeding for tree roots, particularly those that are not yet established.
- Do not trim away more than one-third of a tree.
- For large trees and branches, hire a licensed and insured arborist.